The Strange Case of Dr. Sugar Bear and Mr. Kujo

-

Sugar Bear Poison Ivy Dog Aspen Institute.jpg
Thumbnail image for aspen ideas festival twn.jpgAt the Aspen Ideas Festival 2010, at which I had a terrific time and had some of my own perspectives on policy matters stretched in new directions, I met this fun, woods and water loving dog — named Sugar Bear something-or-other.
poison ivy thurman.jpgShe had just punctured a nice pink ball on the grounds at Aspen, and her owner and I were kicking around the destroyed toy with the pup. But this was in Jekyll & Hyde terms, Dr. Sugar Bear.
Mr. Kujo (or Hyde) is the dog that managed to get poison ivy or poison oak oil on my wrists, arms, and legs — and now I’m in Beijing paying the price for my puppy addiction.
If anyone knows where to get some low-grade, poison ivy blister fixing steroids in Beijing — drop me a line.
A former senior US diplomat at an institution I won’t mention here today wrote me an extremely unhappy note the other day. He no doubt would take some pleasure in the fact that I’m tortured by this poison ivy stuff right now. I like this diplomat and respect him and his work, and as unhappy as he was — at least one person in the world ought to get some joy from my current misery. (And for the person who knows him, yes — you can share this.)
More soon.
— Steve Clemons

Comments

4 comments on “The Strange Case of Dr. Sugar Bear and Mr. Kujo

  1. Eric Herlofson says:

    Sorry about your poison ivy affliction. Had a very
    bad case like yours once. Hot water as hot as I could stand, without harming myself, on my arms and face helped ease greatly the wretched itching.

    Reply

  2. Sand says:

    Dog Humor:
    –How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?
    1. Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we’ve got our whole lives ahead of us, and you’re inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?
    2. Border Collie: Just one. And then I’ll replace any wiring that’s not up to code.
    3. Dachshund: You know I can’t reach that stupid lamp!
    4. Rottweiler: Make me.
    5. Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.
    6. Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!
    7. German Shepherd: I’ll change it as soon as I’ve led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven’t missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.
    8. Jack Russell Terrier: I’ll just pop it in while I’m bouncing off the walls and furniture.
    9. Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I’m sorry, but I don’t see a light bulb!
    10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.
    11. Chihuahua: Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or “We don’t need no stinking light bulb.”
    12. Greyhound: It isn’t moving. Who cares?
    13. Australian Shepherd: First, I’ll put all the light bulbs in a little circle…
    14. Poodle: I’ll just blow in the Border Collie’s ear and he’ll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

    Reply

  3. A DeHoff says:

    Odd as it sounds this will help — using a blow dryer and blow hot air on the poison ivy. You are tricking the nerve endings in your skin to be concerned with “heat” instead of “itch”.
    I’ve tried it; it works.
    http://www.lisashea.com/birding/poisonivy/cures.html

    Reply

  4. questions says:

    You could try baking soda mixed with water and pasted on. It kind of works on mosquito bites, sort of. I’ve never had poison ivy, though.

    Reply

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *