MICHAEL MOORE STATES THAT HE WAS OFFERED FRAUDULENT KILLIAN DOCUMENTS by the same source who provided them to CBS News while Moore was making Farenheit 9/11 and rejected them.
Speaking Sunday evening at the University of Central Arkansas, Moore was asked during Q&A about the “Dan Rather story.” After expressing some reluctance about saying anything, he told the audience that while making Farenheit he had been offered the same fraudulent documents by the same source.
According to my correspondent — BG — who attended:
Moore said he looked into it at the time and concluded that they weren’t reliable. Not surprisingly, he really didn’t seem to have any sympathy for Rather’s mistake. He mentioned Burkett’s name during the discussion, but never said that Burkett was his source.
Moore said that he hadn’t shared this information publicly before.
This is important information on at least two fronts.
First of all, 60 Minutes’ source apparently shopped the forged documents around to others before the story ran.
Secondly, if someone like Moore, who seemed to be going after everything he could on Bush, didn’t trust the documents, why did Dan Rather?
Does this mean that if there is a legal investigation into the source of the Killian documents that Moore will be subpoenaed?
This could turn out to be a replay of Tim Russert and other media types being subpoenaed to testify in the Valerie Plame case.
— Steve Clemons